Monday, June 29, 2015

"Let's go do things." (A 4 month update.)

Helen Keller once wrote, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." She was right.

Being an "elf" at Blister Creek Falls, Oregon.

I've always been more of a "Let's go do things." rather than a "Let's talk about things." kind of person. When I was little I was the girl who would try so hard to convince every kid in the neighborhood to be part of some giant adventure. One year when it snowed, I spent the entire day leading a group of kids through the Christmas Tree field solving a "mystery" while videotaping it. Sometimes I look back and realize my habits have stayed the same: still exploring, getting my feet dirty, being the "brave" one (even if I'm hesitating as I do it), and recording the memories. 



I think that's what I love most about technology today, it makes it easy to capture, record and share all the moments of our lives. I'll be the first to admit that I'm always the one with either my cell phone or camera out, doing my best to have a memory captured. 

What am I not good at? Sharing those memories later. Hence the "break" in posting and updating.

The last few months have been a blur. My sister got married in Brookings, Oregon. It was beautiful and simple. I spent the weekend driving the coastline and exploring the Redwoods. The weather in Oregon has been incredible since February. And by incredible I mean the sun has been out a ton and now everything is dry and we're in danger of wildfires. A lot of people have been pleased with the warmth and dry this year, but as a Native of this state I know how important it is for the rain to come back. That being said, I've taken advantage of it and done my own fair share of exploring. From mountain tops to forest service roads to waterfalls to the sandy beaches I've been a little bit of everywhere.

And now that I'm done being wordy, let's get to the point. What have I been doing the last few months? I'll tell you with pictures; lots and lots of pictures. 


My sister Natalie's wedding was beautiful. I was the Maid of Honor so I didn't take ceremony shots, but I did get some special ones later (like the one above). It's a beautiful thing to see someone who is such a huge part of you life get married. I was so blessed to be a part of it. I also want to send a shout out to my dear friend John who didn't really hesitate when I handed him my camera and said, "Today you get to be me. Take some photos." He captured the day well for his inexperience.





After the ceremony on Sunday, we drove south through the Redwoods, explored the beaches near Brookings and took our time. It's a part of Oregon (and some of California) that I never get to see being from the metro area. 








A quick day trip up to Timothy & Little Crater Lake for some fishing in late March greeted me with amazing weather and some lovely snapshots.




I have a really long list of things I want to see near home. Some of my day trips included Lolo Pass Road, Lost Lake, a ton of forest roads above the Clackamas River and the summit of Goat Mountain.















A few weekends ago my best friend had her pinning ceremony for nursing school in Ashland, Oregon. We did some exploring and relaxing all over the are. I just love how diverse my home state is.





We almost missed this sunset. But the view from Larch Mountain had been on my list for years. I would do this quick hike a hundred more times just to see the light fall across the mountains and the gorge.





My heart belongs to the ocean. 







And finally, last weekend's waterfall hunting adventures.