Monday, January 12, 2015

Love her but keep her wild.

When I was young my father used to call Oregon the "land flowing with milk & honey". If you don't know the reference, it's a line from the bible and the book of Exodus. It was God's promise to Moses that his people would have a better home.

A rare photo of me in action. Photo credit to John Shufelt.

My parents moved here in 1986. They were newly married, packed their bags in to their Toyota Corolla and drove out west. It almost sounds like a great country song. Growing up my Dad always told me the story of his first drive down the Columbia River Gorge. He was a small town guy from Michigan. His childhood was the kind filled with diving in old irrigation ponds and racing down gravel roads along tomato fields. The light in his eyes when he described the Columbia River is in part why I've kept adventuring, kept seeing, kept exploring... because even if the adventure is short, every one fills you with a little more light, another story to tell later on down the line.




My parents skiing in Aspen. Notice the casual gear? Must be where I get it.

We never hiked much when I was growing up. Camping in the pouring rain, huddled around a fire with fresh fish cooking was the kind of outdoor adventures we had. Dad used to yell at me because I never remembered a coat. Even as an adult I sometimes forget a "rain layer", which if you know anything about Oregon, it rains... often and a lot. When I was in kindergarten I spent some time living in Rock Springs, Wyoming. My Uncle Mark was an avid arrowhead hunter. He'd often take all of us kids up in to the hills to help him search and see the beauty. The memories are muddled and vague, but I remember climbing scraggly trees and the excitement of the search. Wyoming was the first place I saw a red fox, alone in the front yard and ran inside loudly exclaiming, "Big Bummer (nickname for my Uncle), there was a red fox! A red fox!!" Wyoming was the first place I hid in a snow igloo and walked to school in the shadows of mountains with my cousins Aaron & Katie. I remember him putting sleeping bags on the lawn so my cousin Katie and I could watch the stars shoot across a Milky Way sky. A few years ago when I was camping on a beach in Okinawa, Japan I felt the same excitement watching Perseid's Meteor Shower. You don't forget the wild moments.

Adventures in Wyoming when I was young. I have more, but if you saw my garage you wouldn't blame me for not risking my life out there.


I'm still searching, hunting, exploring the world that keeps me wild.



Sunset at beach I camped on in Okinawa, Japan.


Over the weekend my adventure buddies John, Aaron and I went in search for the famed and gorgeous Abiqua Falls. Day one was unsuccessful as we ventured to the wrong side of the canyon the creek runs through. I was disappointed after wandering around closed logging roads for 2 hours that we weren't going to see it.



Obviously I don't have a key or I wouldn't have wandered for 5 miles.

Logging roads can be deceiving. But they make easy walking.

We gave up looking on Saturday and instead ventured to Mt. Angel. I found a giant bear dog. He wasn't too interested in me. Shame... I have a thing for big fluffy creatures.


So, after exploring Mt. Angel and getting dinner I suggested we try again on Sunday. And try, try again we did, and succeeded. This in part is a big piece of advice I have for anyone who wants to go out and start hiking and exploring the natural world: DO YOUR RESEARCH! Sometimes I read 1 page, and sometimes I read 10 on how to find the lesser marked and maintained trails. Usually it's when I read less that I realize an old way to access is no longer viable, so as a suggestion always read trip reports, and hand write the directions. 99% of the time you won't have cell signal and you can't rely on GPS.

That being said, this waterfall was a rough climb down. Well, it was rough because we missed the actual trail and ended up sliding down a rough embankment of mud. Turns out we were 50 feet short of the actual trail. (Geniuses, I know.) But, it was worth every breathtaking, soaking moment. (Yes, I didn't bring my rain gear again. Old habits are hard to break.) Sold on trying to see this natural wonder? You can find all the details here.

The only shot from my DSLR. Unfortunately my go-to hiking lens was broken, so I resorted to my handy dandy cell phone for the rest of the hike.

A little phone shot of Abiqua Creek.

My attempts at getting a better cell photo of the amphitheater. The geological formation and size of it is amazing.

A very pretty spot I think I might use in a future shoot. The water was almost teal.